Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Metasploit and same type of packages
  • From: medwinz <medwinz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:13:35 +0700
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Sylvester Lykkehus <zly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008-11-09 11:20, Adrian Schröter wrote:

On Freitag 07 November 2008 15:47:14 Joop Boonen wrote:

People of (open)SuSE/Novell @security,

I have a question. I would like to build a package for metasploit in the
buildservice.
As metasploit is controversial for for some people. As it's seen as a
hack
tool, but it's also a tool tool demonstrate vulnerabilities and to do
exploit tests on code and security testing.

Important I'm NOT building the package for people to exploit systems that
they are not authorised to. I'm also against this.

I wonder if it's ok to build such a package in respect to legal issues
and
openSuSE/Novell policy.

I do not know the tool, but your description sounds like it is illegal in
germany according to the new laws from this year.

So I am sorry, please do not upload this to our servers (since Build
Service is located in germany).

bye
adrian

I'm no legal expert, and my memory could fail me, but according to that law,
isn't nmap and nessus illegal tools as well ?
I seem to remember it like that, but it could just as well be a myth.

/Sylvester

I use it for checking the security of the servers I maintain. With the
combination of nikto I found it very useful IMHO. But the installation
is really straightforward just extract the tarball and call the Ruby
program.
Is it really necessary to put it on buildservice?

(I cannot comment on legal aspect, there are always a pro's and con's
for the tools like this one)

greeting,
medwinz

--

Robert Orben - "Never raise your hand to your children - it leaves
your midsection unprotected."