[opensuse-buildservice] Start a Synce OBS repository?
  • From: MasterPatricko <masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 10:18:43 +0000
Hello,

I would like to suggest starting a SynCE (http://www.synce.org) OBS
repository. For those who don't know, SynCE is a framework to sync
Windows Mobile PocketPC's and Smartphones with Linux machines. It
handles transferring files, syncing PIM data with opensync, installing
software on your device, and is getting to be pretty reliable (v0.12
now, started in 2002).

For sometime now I have been maintaining the latest versions of SynCE
software in my home repository (home:MasterPatricko:synce), mostly for
my own use. But I have noticed that many people are finding my packages
with the software search and using them, emailing me questions, etc. So
the packages are clearly in demand. I have also talked to the upstream
developers and they say that they get many questions from openSUSE users
and because they do not have one, official, repository (unlike Mandriva
[http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Tour#Easy_synchronization_with_Windows_Mobile_5_.2F_6_and_other_mobile_devices]
where SynCE is now a integrated part of the distro), people are found to
be running old, incompatible, or wrongly-compiled versions of software.
There are many other OBS users also maintaining SynCE packages, many of
them obsolete, which causes increased confusion for the users.

I don't know where we want to keep this SynCE repository. OpenSync has
its own repositories and SynCE is in many ways linked to it. Probably
just synce: would be sufficient.

The SynCE page on the wiki is also woefully out-of-date, I am hoping to
get round to updating it.

Of course, I volunteer to help maintain this repository but any others
are welcome as well. In particular I am a KDE(4) user so I am not very
good at testing Gnome packages ...

Regards,

MasterPatricko