Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Why not just use SVN?
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <darix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 23:22:51 +0200
On 2008-09-25 23:14:55 +0200, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:
1. IMHO branch merge handling with svn is quite painfull as you need
to know yourself what you branched of and what you've already
merged in, at least last time I tried.

svn log --stop-on-copy

1.5 got merge tracking

Maybe a system that's designed with recieving and merging in
patches, like git, might do a better job here.

So I believe we are doing more and other things than svn.

our merge handling is ... in friendly words: less than optimal.

2. There's pros and cons for hostig a distro, a collection of large
random data (comptressed tar archives) plus relatively small
patches in svn

A strong point in the past against it was that we preferred relying
on just the filesystem as a database instead of svn on mysql or
such. We had plenty of experience from the autobuild system how to
do that resonably well, and much faster than any full-featured
revision control --- the features of which never matched what we
needed.

But still it might be an interesting point. For example, connectiva
linux hosted their whole distro in a subversion tree, not sure what
happened when they became mandriva.

redhat and pld still have their whole distro in CVS.

imho the weakest point of svn in the past was the space requirements of
the working copy. but osc went the same way as SVN so that cant count
either.

svk got a nice working copy format on top of the svn libraries.

btw, as packages often come as sources with patches, I think if any
revision control system, then git might be a better option.

the revision control system doesnt really matter here. as they handle
them all the same.

the only pro for git is that our backend storage is pretty close to a
git repository. so the code could be adapted to be compatible.

though we would need our own git daemon:
1. to apply the same access control we do in api atm.
2. to trigger the scheduler events.
3. to update the caches in api for metadata e.g.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
openSUSE is good for you