Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Why not just use SVN?
  • From: Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 23:14:55 +0200
"Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

The "how to verify and fix broken links?" thread brought up a question
I've always wondered about....

Why does osc not-exactly-duplicate the functionality of svn, instead
of just letting the user use svn directly?

In other words:

- Use svn for all checkout, diff, commit, merge, etc. operations
- Use osc for everything else osc does

Two things come to my mind:

1. IMHO branch merge handling with svn is quite painfull as you need
to know yourself what you branched of and what you've already
merged in, at least last time I tried.

Maybe a system that's designed with recieving and merging in
patches, like git, might do a better job here.

So I believe we are doing more and other things than svn.

2. There's pros and cons for hostig a distro, a collection of large
random data (comptressed tar archives) plus relatively small
patches in svn

A strong point in the past against it was that we preferred relying
on just the filesystem as a database instead of svn on mysql or
such. We had plenty of experience from the autobuild system how to
do that resonably well, and much faster than any full-featured
revision control --- the features of which never matched what we
needed.

But still it might be an interesting point. For example, connectiva
linux hosted their whole distro in a subversion tree, not sure what
happened when they became mandriva.

btw, as packages often come as sources with patches, I think if any
revision control system, then git might be a better option.

S.
--
Susanne Oberhauser +49-911-74053-574 SUSE -- a Novell Business
OPS Engineering Maxfeldstraße 5