Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Scenario
  • From: Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:39:43 +0200
On 2008-09-22 10:10:15 +0200, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:
Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx> writes:

Hmm openSUSE:Tools might be appropriate for such things but instead of
publishing various scripts which are able to check out sources from
svn, cvs, git etc. we should integrate such a feature directly into the
buildservice (IMHO).
In the past a lot of people requested such a feature but as the main obs
devs are busy with other more important things this might be a nice task for
the community:) - I would really like to help to integrate such a feature
into
the obs (are there any other volunteers?).

Not sure what you mean:

obs polling for new versions?

or hopefully $outside pushing new versions into obs when they are
available?

I don't mean that the obs should poll for new versions every n minutes. For
instance if you package svn snapshots the current procedure is the following:
- checkout the source code
- create a tarball
- upload this tarball to the obs

So IMHO it would be nice to add an apicall to tell the obs to checkout the
source code and to create the tarball etc. The advantage is that the packager
doesn't have to upload the tarball (this may take some time if you have big
projects..).

Each svn, cvs and AFAICT even git have hook mechanism to do something
if specific checkins happen in the repo.

I'd suggest to rather invest into a clean and simple way to push new
versions into the obs from such hooks.

These hooks can either run on the repo host site or they can run on
any dedicated client from e.g. a procmail rule, reacting on mail
notifications from svn, cvs or git.

Marcus