Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Help wanted: releasing osc packages
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:05:44 +0200
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:01:43PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le mardi 16 septembre 2008, à 14:25 +0200, Peter Poeml a écrit :
Hi,

a release of a new osc package has been overdue. My apologies for not
finding the time to do it during the last weeks. I'm putting together a
package now.

Since there is no reason to wait on me with this stuff (it just needs a
little changelog editing), I wanted to ask whether someone from the
community would be happy to give a hand in this. Anyhow, feel free to
just update the package anytime, when there's something missing.

Just wondering: how do you update the package? Do you manually create a
tarball with a new version? I assume we should submit a new package via
the build service, right? ;-)

I was referring to the osc package in the build service's project named
"openSUSE:Tools".

What I do is:

* increasing __version__ in osc/core.py (not required, but can be useful)

* reading the svn changelog and updating the NEWS file, so it reflects
the changes

* v=0.XXX; svn export

'https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/buildservice/src/clientlib/python/osc'
osc-$v && tar czf osc-$v.tar.gz osc-$v

* paste the NEWS into the RPM .changes file and into the
debian.changelog file

* osc commit.

* request submission of the package from openSUSE:Tools into openSUSE:Factory.

At the same time, I was wondering if we should just make it a link to
some osc snapshot package (which already exists anyway)?

We might not want this when the distribution is frozen.

Vincent

I was only referring to the main location where osc is maintained.
(What's set as "devel project".) openSUSE:Tools in this case. No
freezing needed at any time.

Submissions to Factory can be done by anybody at any time.
There, the distribution maintainers will not accept submissions at
certain times due to freezes of course.

But it would make sense to update the osc package in openSUSE:Tools
regularly and automatically. Some things suck a bit, like the double
changelog that needs to be edited ;)

Peter
--
Contact: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx (a.k.a. ftpadmin@xxxxxxxx)