Re: [opensuse-buildservice] only src.rpm build ?
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:53:29 +0200
David Cournapeau wrote:
Adrian Schröter wrote:
just a question, do we have a use case somewhere, where only a src.rpm
should
get build, but no binary packages ?

yes, ATLAS:

http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/

It is an optimized BLAS/LAPACK library, useful for numerical
computation. The optimization is based on running many different tests
during the build, and the performances are CPU dependant (depends on the
L1/L2/L3 cache size, etc...). This means it is not possible to build it
as an rpm, but a src.rpm is still useful (since the user only has to run
rpmbuild bla bla).

http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/faq.html#binary
| Can I download a prebuilt binary instead of installing from source?
| We provide prebuilt ATLAS libraries for some selected
architectures/configurations.

Even if the software is able to optimize itself better by compiling
it on the target processor you could still build a generic version
for the architecture. Those who need the last bit of performance can
still rebuild the source then.

Also, I don't know if that software offers a library. If it does you
may need the generic version for linking other applications.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel