[opensuse-buildservice] repository dependent rpmbuild
  • From: Christof Hanke <Biber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:13:43 +0300
Hi all,

[CC'd to Derrick Brashear from openafs.org, I just hope not to end up in his
SPAM-dump]

sorry for the long silence about the openafs-package on the
opensuse-buildservice list...
I'd really like to tie the opensuse-build to the official openafs
distribution.
For this to happen we need some build-system- and repository- dependent
spec-file, because the spec-file for fedora looks quite different from that
of SLES9.

I know, in OBS you can use different spec files for each repository, but this
approach does not scale (I have already 4 of those in my normal SuSE-only
package).

I see two possibilities for a differentiated approach:

1) make the buildsystem call a script messing up the spec file before the
actual build starts.
2) use of predefined macro-files.

I guess something like that will help a few projects, but the question is how
to define a script-/macro-name to be widely useful.

Anyway, either way requires changes to the build-system.

Way 2) is closer to rpm, but then the provided macros need to reflect other
macros provided silently by the build system.
Way number 1) is build-system agnostic and _could_ also be used to brigde the
gap between .rpm and .deb

Thus, I'd vote for way 1).

Any comments ?
Whatever the outcome I'm happy to make something like this happen and to
document it :-)

T/Christof