[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Requiring a generic webserver
  • From: "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <knocte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:30:21 +0200
Michal Marek wrote:
Andrés G. Aragoneses wrote:
BTW, it happens the same with the dependency "smtp-daemon" in this fedora rpm I'm mentioning. And I recently asked a question on IRC about this, but related to database engines so, if this is supported, can I do something similar for requiring mysql OR postgresql?

smtp_daemon and http_daemon work for mail and web servers. It would be
trivial to add Provides: sql_database to mysql and postgresql, but do

However, for my concrete needs this wouldn't be enough, because I guess that other non-supported DB-engine would provide "sql_database" as well, and then the package won't work for that cases. So the only solution I guess would be to use "Provides: mysql_or_postgresql" in both MySQL and PostgreSQL packages, right? But I guess that's not something that's going to be included upstream, because it would open the door to a lot of "dual dependency" requests from other package maintainers, right?

packages that "need either MySQL or PostgreSQL" really work out of the
box with both servers? If I install your package and mysql, will it just
work if I remove mysql and install postgres without reconfiguring
anything?

Mmmm, good point! Suppose it's possible for my RPM to stablish this dual-dependency to mysql||postgresql. When installed for the first time, the RPM would create the initial database on the db-engine selected. But, let's say someone chose mysql, could my RPM detect when someone uninstalls mysql and posgresql in order to replicate the tables into a similar DB? I guess this is a fairly complicated scenario. Not to mention that I don't know how I should handle the scenario when both mysql and postgresql are installed prior to installing my RPM, how could the package manager ask the user the DB-engine to use (as opposed to asking the DB-engine to install, as mentioned earlier)?

Unlike web and mail servers, database servers are so much
different, because only the query language is kind of standardized, not
the network protocol (if any), client library APIs or commandline tools.
That's why there's no virtual provides for that.