Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Requiring a generic webserver
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:50:19 +0200
Andrés G. Aragoneses wrote:
BTW, it happens the same with the dependency "smtp-daemon" in this
fedora rpm I'm mentioning. And I recently asked a question on IRC about
this, but related to database engines so, if this is supported, can I do
something similar for requiring mysql OR postgresql?

smtp_daemon and http_daemon work for mail and web servers. It would be
trivial to add Provides: sql_database to mysql and postgresql, but do
packages that "need either MySQL or PostgreSQL" really work out of the
box with both servers? If I install your package and mysql, will it just
work if I remove mysql and install postgres without reconfiguring
anything? Unlike web and mail servers, database servers are so much
different, because only the query language is kind of standardized, not
the network protocol (if any), client library APIs or commandline tools.
That's why there's no virtual provides for that.

Michal