[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-factory] Requesting to create a top level project "Contrib"
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 02:35:18 +0200

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
(cross-posting to OBS & Factory)

Please don't cross-post. Let's discuss the contrib repository into more
detail before going for a repository in the OBS.

There's still a lot to do before we're at that stage, really.
Let's not put the cart before the horse.

[...]
Current model of third-party packages for openSUSE is broken in many
user's opinion. There are lots of packages across hundreds of Build
Service projects, which is hard to download & navigate. Packages are
often duplicates, and aren't tested. Current model is good for
experimentation and development but is bad idea for deployment.

Now that's a good way of getting flamed by people on
opensuse-buildservice who didn't read the whole thread on
opensuse-factory :)

We want to make a new model, which suites deployment & distribution.

Umm.. "blah" ? :)

Alexey, really, let's keep this topic on -factory first.

Either you want a coordinated effort with several contributors or you
just rush something badly thought out on your own.
If you want the former, then we're not done discussing it.

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill