[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Re: OBS design error?
  • From: Chris Frey <cdfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:30:00 -0400
On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 09:49:55PM +0200, Marcus H?we wrote:
Your patch looks good but before I commit it I've a general question:)
Why do you want to store the metadata in the .osc/ dir? If you want to have
a backup of your metadata simply run "osc meta prj <project>" after you
modified your project's metadata. In case we store it in the osc dir you
have to check your metadata all the time before you run "osc up" otherwise
it'll be replaced with the new version.

Hi Marcus,

Well, my reasoning was in the first email, where I considered it a design
error that there was some project data that was "out-of-band" in the sense
that it was not enough to checkout a project, back it up, and have everything
you need to recreate it if needed.

I think ideally, this meta data should just be files that you check
in with osc commit, just like every other file. (Similar to how _link
is handled.) This would provide history, and an extremely visible way
of storing this data.

I don't know how the meta data is stored in the backend, and maybe using
files like that would make things harder for other clients, such as the
webclient.

So as a workaround, I wrote this patch, since it was already half way
there. Someone else had already implemented it for packages, I just
added it for projects as well. I only meant it as a cache of what is
on the server.

It's not an ideal patch, since the cached version should also be updated when
the user edits it, but it's a start.

I'd still prefer to see config data stored as files, though, and would
happily see my patch dropped if movement was made in the files direction.

Thanks,
- Chris