Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: "Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:16:08 -0500
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
It is also the concept that we allow builds of the same package, for example
to change some configuration or to use newer/incompatible base libs. In this
case the resulting package is also incompatible.

I think the worth of doing this is debatable. I would rather have a
system where "alternative" builds of the same project had different
names, or something like that.

Here is my point of view as a user: I know for example there are a
zillion ways to configure asterisk. But I usually just want the
"standard" version of it. I don't want to be forced to choose among a
bunch of them.

When you say merge all home: projects blindly, it is obvious from my POV that
we will either get daily attacks because it is so easy to infect plenty of
systems or we need to tell everbody that never ever you should add this repo.
So it becomes pointless from my POV.

Just to be clear, I did NOT say we should include home:user projects.
Only the "official" projects such as Apache and network:telephony,
etc.

The home:user projects live on "level 3" trust (basically not much)
and I agree that including them would mean basically you can't trust
anything.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs