Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: "Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:12:59 -0500
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
However, what is needed is IMHO a discussion and policy what the openSUSE
distribution should be.

a) A relative small distribution with best possible quality, trust and
maintenance

b) A as large as possible distro with the price of lower quality/trustable and
more often changing content.

c) something in the middle ;)

Whatever you select, you will have a price to pay. But this is IMHO something
what should be discussed on -factory or -project. Or even better, someone can
come up with a proposal how a package can qualify for the distribution in
future.

Some thoughts on this discussion from one end-user's perspective...

Long ago I used FreeBSD heavily and one thing I very much appreciated
was having "one stop shopping" for 3rd party software, i.e., there was
a single project-monitored and blessed place to go to find 3rd party
software (the FreeBSD ports/packages system).

On the other hand, Linux always seemed to have more software available
than FreeBSD.... BUT it was a lot harder to find/access, came from
"random" places (e.g., searching pbone.net), and often didn't work
because it wasn't well integrated, or you had to build it yourself (so
no RPM database tracking), etc.

The OBS is a great unifying technology that solves part of that second
Linux-specific problem set: (a) I can find almost all software for
SUSE in one place, http://software.opensuse.org/search (b) software on
OBS is built under clean-room conditions for each distribution (c) all
software is RPM packages with consistent inter-package dependencies.

However, there still remains one problem with OBS: there are so many
separate repositories. I don't have a problem with home:foobar
projects, it's clear what they are about, and they should remain
separate. However, why do I have to end up adding twenty different
repositories to zypper (which dramatically slows it down by the way)
just because what I want to do doesn't fit neatly into a single
category?

So here's my suggestion. First, keep the three "levels of trust" we
have now: 1 = factory, 2 = established category projects like
network:telephony, Apache, etc., 3 = home:user projects.

Next, with each release of SUSE, create the normal SUSE distribution
using level 1 stuff, but also create a new "3rd party distribution"
containing the union of all level 2 projects, taken as a snapshot at
release time. The "3rd party distribution" could be shipped as a
separate set of ISO images and would also be hosted in a *single*
online repository (called e.g., "openSUSE 10.3 3rdParty").

So you point zypper at e.g. standard SUSE 10.3 repository and 3rd
Party 10.3 repository and you get it all.

Not sure if this is the perfect model, but the general goals should be
to make clear the trust level of the software you're getting while
keeping the number of repositories at a minimum. So if there are
basically three trust levels, then at least for the higher trust
levels there should be exactly one corresponding repository.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs