Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:37:42 +0000
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Alexey Eremenko <al4321@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008-07-29 14:07:35 +0000, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
Now, what about offliners, that keep everything locally ?

Having too many repositories makes things difficult.

Having one big repository would make things difficult too. I don't want to
imagine how much disk space would be needed...

Actually about disk space:
Debian 4.0 takes 13 GB of space per 1 architecture (i386+noarch) for
18000 packages.
openSUSE 10.3 takes 8 GB of space per 1 arch for 6000 packages.

Which means:
openSUSE already has all the big packages, what is lacking are
utilities and "helper" packages.
Adding many useful utilities (many of whom are CLI) won't make the
core distro even 2x bigger than we are now.

If we count the fact that we are not going to add 10000+ utilities
overnight, rather it will be a long process lasting several years,
then I see no problem at all, since both hard disks becoming big,
50mbps VDSL becoming reality and blu-ray discs of course....

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"
< Previous Next >