Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:33:45 +0000
Full ACK here. Also if something gets into the core distro, then it is
tested to work with the rest of the distro. Right now even popular
repositories are mutually exclusive. Devel versions could still maintained
in the BS. Bye,

Not to mention inter-dependencies.
If I make a new package that has a dependency on core distro then all
is fine, but if my packages have a dependency on third-party packages,
and his packages in turn has dependency on some other repository we
are returning back into dependency hell.

Good example:
-iperf and iperfQt - IP performance test.
-iperf is not my package, but I need to copy it into my home project
because I developing iperfQt which is a Qt GUI for iperf, which is not
core package. I don't want to have a dependency on some one else's
home project.
Thankfully Qt is :)

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"