Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:21:58 +0000
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Adrian Schröter escribió:
Or ask for write access there.
There was no real discussion yet how to handle new packages btw ...

I think we should estabilish something like the Fedora package review
guidelines.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process

Fedora's Package Review Guidelines are a nice checklist for measuring
quality of packages, however, in our case, the most important question
IMHO should be: "Does this package *need* to be part of the core
distribution?". For many packages a home in the buildservice
repositories is actually the better option:
* Buildservice packages can be updated after distro release quite easily
(and without wasting space in you repositories)
* Can be provided for released distributions
* For the end-user, using buildservice packages is IMO as easy as using
distribution packages.

There are plenty of small useful packages on the net.
And yes, I believe that they need to become part of the core distro.
Especially for offliners among us, that download whole repository and
use it locally.

And looking at 100 different repositories (Build Service Home
projects) is not the same thing as looking into 1 main repository.
I prefer to have 1 place to look for packages.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"