Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:48:31 +0200
The thing is that only a very small group has write access to Factory and
they need to review the submissions for security reasons.

To be able to scale with this setup, we have the maintainers in the
"devel projects" which are responsible for the packages and do a first
review of submitted changes. So when you like to update a package, you
need to submit to these places. Or ask for write access there.

There was no real discussion yet how to handle new packages btw ...

Seriously, I understand the need for maintaining integrity for openSUSE.

Actually I think that a good idea would be to build a "multi-level"
introduction of packages into factory,

Actually, this is what we have.

like:
1. community "home" projects on Build Service - experimental packages go
here.

basically any project inside and outside of home: has this level.

2. Pre-Factory tree project (place where evaluations will take place
on both quality, stability and license, ...)
This repository will contain the "candidate" packages, that are aimed
at future inclusion into factory.

These are the "devel projects" I spoke before. run

osc meta pkg openSUSE:Factory $SOME_PACKAGE

to see, which project is used for this package.

3. Factory itself - Novell employees will take packages, from
"pre-factory" tree. Packages, that are qualified
will be put into factory.

Everybody, independend of Novell Employee or not, can submit packages.
However, a small group, the autobuild team is reviewing the submission and
accepts or declines it (with a reason). But these submissions should come from
a "devel project" to be sure that the experts for these packages have seen and
accepted the change.

After all, moving openSUSE distro construction to openly-viewed build
service, is made exactly for
purpose of external contributions...

Write commits to pre-factory tree should be made upon request for
community members.

Layered approach is a good way to make things moving...

I think we have this kind of system already. And we do not make a difference
between Novell Employee or not btw. Novell Employees have also not direct
write access to Factory and need the review and acceptance from the autobuild
group as well.