Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:29:00 +0300
Now: May I get commit access ?

No ;)

Well, a bit sad :(

The thing is that only a very small group has write access to Factory and they
need to review the submissions for security reasons.

To be able to scale with this setup, we have the maintainers in the "devel
projects" which are responsible for the packages and do a first review of
submitted changes. So when you like to update a package, you need to submit to
these places. Or ask for write access there.

There was no real discussion yet how to handle new packages btw ...

Seriously, I understand the need for maintaining integrity for openSUSE.

Actually I think that a good idea would be to build a "multi-level"
introduction of packages into factory,
like:
1. community "home" projects on Build Service - experimental packages go here.
2. Pre-Factory tree project (place where evaluations will take place
on both quality, stability and license, ...)
This repository will contain the "candidate" packages, that are aimed
at future inclusion into factory.
3. Factory itself - Novell employees will take packages, from
"pre-factory" tree. Packages, that are qualified
will be put into factory.

After all, moving openSUSE distro construction to openly-viewed build
service, is made exactly for
purpose of external contributions...

Write commits to pre-factory tree should be made upon request for
community members.

Layered approach is a good way to make things moving...

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"