Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE:Tools:Devel
  • From: Dirk Stöcker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:50:03 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:

Martin Mohring, one of our busy contributors and testers of
openSUSE:Tools pointed out that he had created an openSUSE:Tools:Devel
project on his build server because he had noticed that quite a few
people use openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE and he doesn't want to break them
while they are using more extensive testing.

As I like three staged integration environments (one for Development,
one for Testing and one for Release), and as openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE
actually is that Testing environment for many, I've added a devel
stage:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=openSUSE%3ATools%3ADevel

So now we have

openSUSE:Tools
the currently recommended, released version

openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE
the upcoming release, an ongoing beta version

openSUSE:Tools:Devel
very current packages, svn snapshots, this may break at any
time, only use this if you are actively participating in
development and alpha testing

Couldn't that be solved by a more general approach? Implement a delay-support in the obs.

Have only openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE, but do not release any package to the download system until
- at least xxx days have passed,
- no repository changes happened for that package
- and building did not fail in the xxx days (much like the Debian system).
The development and alpha testers can use API access to get the files.

Add an "I'm sure" button to release singular packages earlier.

Would save lots of harddisk space.

Ciao