[opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE:Tools:Devel
  • From: Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:42:19 +0200
Hi,

Martin Mohring, one of our busy contributors and testers of
openSUSE:Tools pointed out that he had created an openSUSE:Tools:Devel
project on his build server because he had noticed that quite a few
people use openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE and he doesn't want to break them
while they are using more extensive testing.

As I like three staged integration environments (one for Development,
one for Testing and one for Release), and as openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE
actually is that Testing environment for many, I've added a devel
stage:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=openSUSE%3ATools%3ADevel

So now we have

openSUSE:Tools
the currently recommended, released version

openSUSE:Tools:UNSTABLE
the upcoming release, an ongoing beta version

openSUSE:Tools:Devel
very current packages, svn snapshots, this may break at any
time, only use this if you are actively participating in
development and alpha testing

A proposed release process is to first submit new package versions to
Devel and announce updates on opensuse-buildservice@xxx

Then 'good' versions of the packages that seem to work together go to
UNSTABLE for broader beta testing.

Once that has stabilized it is moved over to openSUSE:Tools as new
release.

This also allows to remove the build-svn, osc-svn and obs-server-svn
packages: they now can go to "Devel" under teir 'real' names (without
-svn).

Hey, with repo priorities you could even subscribe to just the Tools
repo to be user, to Tools and UNSTABLE to be a beta tester and to
all three, Tools, UNSTABLE and Devel as developer :)

Not sure how these repo priorites can be set easily, though?

S.

--
Susanne Oberhauser +49-911-74053-574 SUSE -- a Novell Business
OPS Engineering Maxfeldstraße 5