Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS Webclient Redesing
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:38:50 +0200
Hello,

on Donnerstag, 24. Juli 2008, Robert Lihm wrote:
as a few of you already noticed we work on a new OBS Webclient
design.
Also interesting would be some input about the things you mainly do
with the Webclient or you would like to do.

Some comments and ideas in random order:

- the build status table is quite difficult to read when you build for
many targets - it's too wide and the package names scroll away when
you scroll to the right. Live example:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3Acboltz
(notice and use the horicontal scrollbar at the bottom)
Vertical scrolling is also problematic if you build lots of packages,
live example on
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=server%3Aphp%3Aextensions

Better solution: make the status columns narrower - shorten some texts
if needed (for example "exp. error" instead of "expansion error") so
that no horicontal scrolling is ever needed.
Using colors or icons would allow even more visible columns.

The perfect solution would be to make the targets and the package
names non-scrolling. (Yes, I know it isn't that easy in HTML ;-)

- I often check the server status page just to find out how many
packages are in the build queue (to have a rough number about when I
can expect my packages to be build).

Having just these numbers (per arch or only in total) available as a
dashboard[1] item would be useful - I'm not really interested in the
list of currently running build jobs.

- deleting already built RPMs should be possible with the webclient.
I sometimes need to do this when the buildservice was too fast ;-) and
compiled packages before I could disable the build on some targets I
don't want to compile that package.

Having a trashbin icon on the package page (in the section that shows
the RPMs) would be useful.

- the "link package" page [2] is hard to use because I have to type
project and package name in the original project. Having a search (or
list) available would be very helpful.

Maybe the page needs to be splitted to multiple steps to make this
possible:
1. choose the project (https://build.opensuse.org/project/list_public
might be a good base, including the filter input field)
2. display the list of packages in that project, again with a filter
field (will be very helpful if someone links a package in
factory ;-)
2a (can be on the same page)
input field for package name in the target project

- what about providing some quick jump targets in the build log?

When I check the log of a finished or failed build, I usually jump to
one of these positions:
- start of the "real" build (when the build system is set up)
- first error
- rpmlint report
- end of the build log

Having a set of <a href='#something'> links at the start of the build
log would make scrolling easier ;-)

- do _not_ show the "start refresh" and "start autoscroll" links in
build logs of finished builds (they are useless in this case).
Instead, replace them with "build has finished/failed/..."

That's it for now - I hope you find some of my ideas useful ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] the dashboard sounds like a very useful idea :-)

[2] https://build.opensuse.org/package/new_link?project=whatever

--
There are no bugs expected after Beta3, that's why it is called RC.
[Jan Engelhardt]