Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS Webclient Redesing
  • From: Reinhard Max <max@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:02:35 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 at 17:08, Robert Lihm wrote:

I would appreciate a good discussion during the design-process and many suggestions ;-)

I have two suggestions for improvement that should be easy to implement besides the general redesign:

1. Put the input fields for the login credentials directly on the
front page, in place of the "Login" part of the current combind
"Register | Login" link.

Rationale: It is common among web services where most of the
functionality is only accessible after login that they provide the
input fields for the user name and password directly on the front
page rather than requiring the user to click a link before he can
enter his login data.

Examples:
Freemailers (e.g. http://www.gmx.net/)
Web shops (e.g. http://www.pollin.de/)
Web forums

Counter examples would be Sourceforge and Bugzilla, but they don't
require login for public read access.

2. Remove the "Search" link from the left side bar and add an input
field either to the side bar or to the top menu below the
"Watchlist | Home Project | Logout" links.

Rationale: Web services which offer access to a huge amount of
user-generated data tend to have an entry field for basic searching
somewhere in the navigation area on every page. Only advanced
searching is usually put on a separate page.

Examples: Probably most news sites and web shops, Sourceforge,
eBay, Google, Bugzilla, Amazon.

cu
Reinhard