Re: [opensuse-buildservice] maintaining file permissions
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:24:30 +0200
Am Donnerstag 24 Juli 2008 00:50:38 schrieb Anas Nashif:
Adrian,

Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Sunday 13 July 2008 16:09:12 Anas Nashif wrote:
Hi,
How can I maintain the executable mode of a file when I check it in into
the build service?

This is not possible. http transfer do not know a permission mask.

Well, subversion uses HTTP and it still support this by changing

well, this is more webdav than simple http AFAIK.

attributes of files. When transferring a file maybe in the future also
transfer it's attributes in the HTTP request. This would also be helpful
for the web client which currently shows garbage if you click on 'Show'
link for a tar ball or any binary data.

Some RPMs have scripts that are called directly from the spec file,
build fails because the files can't be executed due to bad permissions.

Just call the scripts via "bash $script" or alike. The advantage is that
it would build even on FAT filesystems in future :)

I solved this by changing the permissions before the script is called.
It seems however fedora has many packages that expect the executable
flags to be set for scripts.

Currently we would have a problem with our source repo with this. You can not
change the permission of a file for a package, because it gets stored only
once.

So, I this would be major work to allow this, so I do not see that we will
implement such a functionality soon.

But as usual, if you can provide a patch ... ;)

bye
adrian