Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Question _link vs. _aggregate, saving resources
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:53:31 +0200

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 22:46:53 Roman Fietze wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I'm relatively new to the build service, abd I hope this question or
the answer to it is not somewhere else and too easy to find.

Details: I need libqwt5 to build s specific version of the most recent
bacula version.

I borrowed bacula from home:bastianfriedrich/Bacula and I am using a
_link to his package and a patch to the spec file switching from
SQLite to mySQL. I hope this is correct.

This is the best option, if you need the package build in a different way.

Now, bacule needs libqwt5. I detected that bastianfriedrich links from
dstoecker. So I was using dstoecker/libqwt using _aggregate, because I
need it absolutely unchanged.

Actually, when you do not need any change it is better to avoid the
_aggregate, but to build the project of bastianfriederich directly. In this
way no data get copied and your builds can start earlier.

This is unfortunatly not easy doable via the web frontend, but you can use osc

osc meta prj -e $yourprooject

There is a line like

<path project="openSUSE:10.3" repository="standard" />

When you change this in this for example

<path project="home:bastian" repository="openSUSE_10.3" />

It does build against this home. Since home:bastian does build against
openSUSE:10.3/standard, it gets also all packages from there, but prefers the
packages in home:bastian.

I turned the words about _link and _aggregate from Tips&Tricks in my
brain up and down, and I am still not sure that I am using the correct
solution, trying to be a nice build service citizen.

Q0: Where can I find a detailed description of the different XML files
used for the build service?

The best place for this is currently the svn or

https://api.opensuse.org/apidocs

In svn you can find

https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/buildservice/docs/api/frontend
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/buildservice/documentation

The current api docs and the unfinished documentation book about the build
service.

If there is any documentation answering the following two questions,
just be so kind and ignore them.

Q1: Should I use _aggregate in the case of libqwt5 is I do, or a
_link?
Q2: Or can I somwhow build my version of bacula directly to any other
project/package without even _linking or _aggregating libqwt5? I
really do not need this one in my own repository subdirectories. If
yes, how?

If you need it unchange, just build against the other repo, see above.

bye
adrian

Thanks a lot for any help.

Roman