Re: [opensuse-buildservice] project dependencies
  • From: Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 16 Jun 2008 12:29:06 +0200
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> writes:

Yes. This is not a big problem (except for storage), but the
question is we want to force the user manually to switch repos on
updates.

I think in most cases a :Stable and a :Unstable makes more sense.

Let me try to understand what that means.

So I release some software, Bar-o-meter, 1.0.

I've released and tested Bar-o-meter with some other project Foo-foo,
Version 1.7, which is what's currently in Foo-foo:Stable.

Now Foo-foo:Stable is updated to 2.0, which breaks APIs. Now I have
two bad choices:

* fix my package *right now* and hope nobody has used the broken
repos in-between, no matter what I've originally planned doing
now.

* copy the base packages in a version that works into my project to
be safe from such intrusive changes.

If, however, the release is tagged with some api version, then I've
pointed to Foo-foo:Release-1.7 or Foo-foo:Stable-1.7 and I'm safe.

Or maybe Foo-foo:API-1.7?

I'm bringing this up because we've had exactly this problem when rails
was updated to 2.0 and that broke packages like our obs packages.

S.

--
Susanne Oberhauser +49-911-74053-574 SUSE -- a Novell Business
OPS Engineering Maxfeldstraße 5