[opensuse-buildservice] discontinued distributions
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:40:21 +0200

Hi,

After the discussion from last month around the discontinued distribution
handling, here's a proposal how to handle them in future.

"Discontinued distributions" are the distributions, which receive no regular
security updates anymore.

These distributions stay accessible below DISCONTINUED name space. This means
SUSE:SL-10.0 is accessible as DISCONTINUED:SUSE:SL-10.0 for example.

We have currently the following distributions below DISCONTINUED names space:

SUSE Linux 10.0
SUSE Linux 10.1
Fedora 6
Mandriva 2006

We will remove the official projects and all repositories building against
them in two weeks (if we are not forced to do it earlier due to disc storage
problems).

The official 10.1 ftp tree from ftp.opensuse.org will get removed end of the
year.

If you want to keep building against these, you need to modify your project
configuration replacing the project name of the path tag.

Please keep in mind that the quota system will disable your whole project in
case you reach quota setting.

Also important, using discontinued distro means that:
* Installing a package might not be possible because dependencies can not get
solved (due to the fact that distro installation repo disappeared from the
servers as well)
* Using the repositories should not be done from a system connected to the
internet.

thanks
adrian

PS: we are again at > 95% disk usage, we will increase the disk space again,
but we should remove all not necessary repositories to keep our resource for
the really often downloaded stuff. Thanks a lot for your help.