[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Meta-data change for network:telephony
  • From: "Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:14:32 -0500
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Peter Nixon <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When you put another project as a dependency of your project in the metadata
it will allow your packages to build, but then when someone tries to use
your repo to install your package those dependencies will not be supplied if
they are needed as "Requires" forcing the user to go off in search of those
dependencies too.

When you "link" a particular package into your project it is rebuilt which
takes up resources on the Build Service but is usefull if you want one of
IT'S dependencies to be supplied by a package in your project without
touching its spec, or if you want to build for a target which is not enable
in it's home project. Once built the package is uploaded to the mirrors
which also takes up mirror resources, and it also will have a different
build version number which means that you may (or may not) randomly upgrade
existing packages of the same name on your users system..

When you "aggregate" a particular package into your project it is not
rebuilt, but rather copied directly from its home project. It keeps the same
version number, so when it is uploaded to mirrors it does take up resources
on them but it will not replace the same package if already installed on a
users system (from the parent project). This is the preferred and cleanest
way of sucking in a few extra dependencies to your project.

Peter,

Thanks for the very clear and helpful description.

This description seems to be missing from the wiki, so I added it,
under a new section titled "Terminology". Hopefully I didn't include
any wrong information.

I'd appreciate a review from the OBS experts (I'm cc'ing the OBS list):

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Tutorial

Thanks,
-Archie

--