Re: [opensuse-buildservice] python scientific tools (like scipy) on opensuse 11?
  • From: Werner Hoch <werner.ho@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:44:27 +0200
Hi David,

On Montag, 19. Mai 2008, David Strozzi wrote:
I am beta-testing opensuse 11, most things seem to work. There's
some annoying aspects of the KDE desktop but that's not for here.

I was hoping to test out some scientific tools in python. I've
gotten ipython and numpy, from the build service, for OS11 (ie, for
the factory). It seems scipy hasn't been built yet. scipy's in the
science project on the build service, and it's been built against
various OS10's, but not yet for OS11. Anyone mind giving it a try?

I've activated the build for Factory, but I'm not sure if it's useful to
do that. I'm currently not able to fix the upcoming build errors for
factory. I will do it as soon as openSUSE 11.0 is out.

On a related note, I noticed numpy and matplotlib are part of project
devel:languages:python. I am not active on the build service and
don't know how things are organized. Namely, I wonder why scipy is
in science but the others in d:l:p.

Because it's scientific python ;-).

The scipy package requires some other packages that are not python. e.g.
lapack, fftw. The numpy package from the science repo is linked against
lapack, too.

I'm not sure if such dependancies would fit into a pure python repo.

Any opinions?

Regards
Werner