Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build a whole project with osc
  • From: Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 18:58:28 +0200
On 2008-05-09 20:15:25 +0100, Carlos Goncalves wrote:
Hi,

As requested by darix, I'm emailing oS-buildservice to ask for a
new osc
feature - capability to build a whole project (eg.
KDE:KDE4:UNSTABLE:Desktop)
with one single command.
Hmm I think we need one additional api call to retrieve the
buildorder of a
project.
This new call could look like this:

'POST:/build/$project/$repository/$arch/_buildorder'

Then we could upload all spec files to the backend, the backend
parses all
specs and calculates the buildorder. Calculating the buildorder
isn't too
hard

Note that the build order might change as you build packages and
new
dependencies show up. It's probably not too hard but it isn't that
easy
either ;-).
Hmm no. My plan was to send _all_ spec files (or just only
BuildRequires
and Provides (we also need to associate this information to a
particular
package)) to the backend.

Imagine the following:
- package "foo" requires "bar-devel"
- package "bar" was added locally ("bar" also provides "bar-devel")

the provides of bar-devel is normally not detected by BS. If you check
in whatever spec file that creates a bar-devel rpm, and another that
Requires: bar-devel, the latter one will stay on Missing dependencies
until bar has built a single time and it will start using this.

Yes basically you're right but it mainly depends on the implementation of
the buildorder calculation.
It is possible that the BS "knows" about subpackages so that they can
be used to calculate the buildorder (without having a
"missing dependencies" status).

If you want to know how it exactly works have a look at the code which I
attached to my first mail in this thread (the interesting thing is the
%map hash which maps subpackages to the corresponding buildservice
package).

Marcus