Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Moving voiceglue to network:telephony
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 20:50:12 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 9 May 2008, Archie Cobbs wrote:

1. Package A requires package B from another repo
2. Package A successfully builds with package B, and everything is great
3. Package B is changed, and for whatever reason the build of
package B is blocked for a long time
4. Package A is changed

My question is: shouldn't package A's build proceed anyway, with the
same version of B that was used in step #2? This is what I would
expect as step #5:

5. Package A is built with the same version of package B used in step #2

Then many hours later after everyone has gone to sleep:

6. Package B's new build finally successfully completes
7. Package A's build is automatically triggered and it is built
again with the version of package B from step #6

You are right, that it is disturbing to wait for these long blocking packages, but:

a) This usually is a Factory problem and usually does not affect the
more stable distributions.
b) When you use osc build to do a local build test, then in most cases
letting it take a day to build a package is no problem, as you checkin
a working package instead of building the package on server.

c) You can live with it. Believe me. I do for some time now :-)

Nevertheless I'm pretty convinced there are still situations, where blocked state is wrong, especially with aggregates.

Ciao