Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Moving voiceglue to network:telephony
  • From: "Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 10:26:09 -0500
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> My module has an outstanding change from me that I'm waiting on to
> build. The OBS should go ahead and rebuild my module using the prior
> version of perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder. Then when perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
> finishes, it can do another rebuild if it wants to.

We speak here about packages for openSUSE Factory and not building for any
frozen distro like openSUSE 10.3, Fedora or alike, right ?

No, I don't think so (but I'm also still trying to figure this all out).

Anyway here is what I have in my project metadata:

<repository name="openSUSE_10.3">
<path repository="standard" project="openSUSE:10.3"/>
<path repository="openSUSE_10.3" project="OSSP"/>
<path repository="openSUSE_10.3" project="devel:languages:perl"/>
<arch>i586</arch>
<arch>x86_64</arch>
</repository>

If you want to build anything _NOW_ it is recommended to do a local build.
You
can do so easily via the "osc build" command. It is anyway recommended to
prepare a new package via that, because you do not have to wait to resetup
the build enviroment for each try (and yes, you can build for Fedora on SUSE
for example).

Yes I could do that, but I wanted to give someone the URL to the
package on the OBS instead of emailing them a huge file.... and
anyway, we're discussing the general behavior of OBS, not only a
workaround for this particular situation.

> In other words, I think the behavior should be:
>
> * Don't trigger my build until *successful completion* of a new
> version of perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder.
> * If the current version of perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder is broken, my build
> should use the previous (successfully built) version.

this is the current situation, if I understand you right.

I don't think it is... if it was, then my package would start building
as soon as I commit a change.

I'll try to explain my question more precisely. Consider this sequence
of events:

1. Package A requires package B from another repo
2. Package A successfully builds with package B, and everything is great
3. Package B is changed, and for whatever reason the build of
package B is blocked for a long time
4. Package A is changed

My question is: shouldn't package A's build proceed anyway, with the
same version of B that was used in step #2? This is what I would
expect as step #5:

5. Package A is built with the same version of package B used in step #2

Then many hours later after everyone has gone to sleep:

6. Package B's new build finally successfully completes
7. Package A's build is automatically triggered and it is built
again with the version of package B from step #6

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs