Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Moving voiceglue to network:telephony
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 07:30:01 +0200
On Thursday 08 May 2008 23:41:20 wrote Archie Cobbs:
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hmm... it's been blocked for over three hours. Is that normal?

Usually Yes, it may take till monday heh ;P

I don't get it. Are you saying that the perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder build
is really taking several hours to build, or are you saying the
perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder build is broken and waiting for a human to fix
it?

Not this package alone, but the complete distro below was in boot strap.
Starting to build new glibc/gcc/binutils and stuff. This has to be finished
first, before perl modules can get build.

You can simply go to the other project in the web interface of the build
service and look what the state of the project is, actually.

In either case, I don't think my module (and lots of others) should be
held up...

My module has an outstanding change from me that I'm waiting on to
build. The OBS should go ahead and rebuild my module using the prior
version of perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder. Then when perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
finishes, it can do another rebuild if it wants to.

We speak here about packages for openSUSE Factory and not building for any
frozen distro like openSUSE 10.3, Fedora or alike, right ?

Well, that would mean that your package would build lots of times, again each
time when any package below is changing. This would made hundreds of rebuilds
instead of one. We do not have the build power to do this with all packages.

Please keep in mind that the OBS is anyway a batch system, means it can have
thousands of build jobs waiting, but only able to process a few (hundred)
jobs at once.

If you want to build anything _NOW_ it is recommended to do a local build. You
can do so easily via the "osc build" command. It is anyway recommended to
prepare a new package via that, because you do not have to wait to resetup
the build enviroment for each try (and yes, you can build for Fedora on SUSE
for example).

In other words, I think the behavior should be:

* Don't trigger my build until *successful completion* of a new
version of perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder.
* If the current version of perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder is broken, my build
should use the previous (successfully built) version.

this is the current situation, if I understand you right.