Re: [opensuse-buildservice] kernel packages and projects with only binaries
  • From: Donavan Pantke <avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 08:49:54 -0400
On Thursday 08 May 2008 01:53:15 am Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Thursday 08 May 2008 06:53:31 wrote Donavan Pantke:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to generate some KMP packages for some HP drivers. In order
handle different possible kernels, I wanted to setup some small projects
house the individual kernel packages and use those as repos to build the
KMP. However, I ran into a snag: the KMP's imbed the full version string
of
the kernel package it was built against.

Yes and the reason for this is that kernel interfaces can become
incompatibel,
even when the version number is not changing. I know this is not nice and
unique to the kernel package, but it is a kernel/packaging issue, not an OBS
issue.

With the way the build service has
to control release numbers to perform builds, this makes for an
interesting
incompatibility. What I'd like to do is to is setup the project similar to
a distribution repo, where the packages are simply indexed and no packages
are configured, dependencies are just provided. However, this option is
only available when I have control over the OBS server. Is there any way I
can setup something similar on b.o.o?

The OBS increases always the release number for every build, it is possible
change this, but it will not help you here. Because the release/version
number requires gets defined by rpm macros defined in kernel-source package.

That would mean that you need to compile also own kernel packages yourself,
and I do not think that this is your goal.

I understand the reasons, what I'm curious about doing is something akin of a
distribution setup on a local OBS, where I define a project with no packages,
and drop the kernel packages in /srv/obs/build, and let the scheduler build
the cache information, and be done with it. The only difference is that these
projects would have a downstream build repository defined. Is this not really
doable on b.o.o?

Thanks!
Donavan

bye
adrian

PS: Yes, requires to release number are evil and should not be done. But the
kernel ABI is highly unstable and seem to require this. Complains should go
to kernel developers ;)