[opensuse-buildservice] Java Development Updates for openSUSE
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:16:55 +0200

Michal Vyskocil has requested a new mailing list around Java topics. You can
subscribe to it by sending a mail to

opensuse-java+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx

This nicely fits our other Java changes we did these days:

Debian and Ubuntu based Java buildings are possible now
It was not possible so far to build Java based packages for Debian or Ubuntu,
because Java lives there in non-free or Multiverse repositories. We have
imported these as Debian:Etch:NonFree or Ubuntu:*:Multiverse projects to
offer java builds in future.
We would like to thank Carsten Höger from Open-Xchange for his help and the
needed java preinit package. A nice example for using Java on deb based
distributions is the server:OX:snapshot project.

openSUSE:Factory is using open source Java from openJDK6 now
We switched to openJDK6 as default Java to be able to deliver a complete open
source Factory distribution including Java. This is currently not a final
decision, just a test approach to evaluate the situation. This affects also
everybody who builds a Java package for Factory using the
generic “BuildRequires: java-devel”, openJDK6 will be used in this case as a
Java environment. A drawback is the increased bootstrap time for Java in
Factory atm, increasing the time for a complete Factory rebuild to several
days. We are working hard to avoid this again in future.

bye
adrian