Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Adding Build-service function to Eclipse! Any suggestions?
  • From: "Benji Weber" <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:57:36 +0100
On 28/04/2008, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
yes, I think we should consider sharing the client implementation as
much as possible, so I see 2 solutions:

* write a C library and create bindings from it
* write a D-Bus daemon that can be contacted via any D-Bus bindings

for the GNOME client we were planning to use the OSC API, since we'll be
using pygtk, but since the Java and Mono clients are not able to use it
and so need to write their own client lib, I think we could use some of
the SoC student's time to work on this shared layer, couldn't we?

This seems a little unnecessary. Consuming webservice API from
java/.net is already particularly easy. Consuming a c library with
bindings or a DBUS api is considerably more complicated (at least in
java). Not to mention the potential problems with breaking
compatibility with the library consumers with future changes.
API.opensuse.org already defines a programming language independent
API, why do you need another?

--
Benjamin Weber