Re: [opensuse-buildservice] more statistics on repository (space) usage
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:01:48 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

I gathered some more (build service specific) data, which may be of
interest. The following numbers are space occupied on rsync.opensuse.org
by repositories matching the following expressions:

*Mandriva_2006* 1G
*Mandriva_2007* 2G
*Mandriva_2008* 2G
*Debian* 0.5G
*Ubuntu* 1G

*Fedora_7* 5G
*Fedora_8* 8G
*RHEL_4* 0.1G
*RHEL_5* 2G

*SLES_9* 9G
*SLE_10* 31G

*10.0* 19G
*10.1* 45G
*10.2* 73G
*10.3* 88G
*Factory* 100G

TOTAL 393G
TOTAL w/o home 223G

So, these numbers allow for some interesting insight. However they'll be
fully useful together with statistics about downloads, and I'll wait for

But I _seriously_ wonder already now, whether we need to have 100G of
Factory rpms on the mirrors, which are probably downloaded only by
extremely few users.

A quick look into the logs indicates that the requests on the 100G
Factory packages cause _less_ of traffic for us, as the requests on the
10.1 packages...

Actually I would have expected exactly what your numbers show:

- The older the distribution, the less packages are there:
Making stuff ready for older distributions gets more and more
complicated, the older the distribution is.
- Only little use of non SUSE packages. Adapting SUSE packages to work
with the other distros makes a lot of work also.
- Lots of Factory stuff, as BuildService gets used more often.

I also think not mirroring Factory is a good idea. In Application:Geo I (we) use Factory mainly as a testbed. So I step by step fixed compiler bugs and dependencies, so the changes may be included in upstream early and when next release is ready the stuff works from the first day on.
I doubt everybody ever really installs the Factory stuff there.
The main targets for me are 10.2 and 10.3. For some packages I care for older and really old packages, but for most this is not the case.

But these, where I care for old distributions, are these, which I do not want to loose.

For the downloads I would expect same distibution except for Factory. Would be nice to see the numbers. When does the BuildService stats work again? It's a long time for debugging it.

P.S. And please add "osc wipebinaries" to the Webinterface. That would save space also (a little :-).

Ciao