Re: [opensuse-buildservice] End Of Life: SUSE Linux 10.1 and Fedora 6
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:07:37 +0200
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 04:31:54PM +0200, Detlef Steuer wrote:
May be it's enough to stop mirroring (but keeping!) end-of-live products plus
introducing some kind of quota system?

I see two aspects here, one is diskspace on download.opensuse.org,
another is diskspace on the mirrors.

The former is a decision done elsewhere, let's see what opensuse-project
thinks about it, the suggestion to move the discussion there is a good
idea.

The latter is something that we easily can take care about, with a
little bit of preparation.

I just gathered some data. What they show is the following:

- 10.1 distro usage:
It is not downloaded in any significant amount, we can definitely
remove it from all rsync modules right now (or rather move into a
separate "discontinued" rsync module so it is actually still
available). We actually could have done so earlier, and even though no
mirror so far complained about the size of those rsync modules, it
is always good to keep them small because in the end it might enable
more mirrors.

- 10.1 BS repositories usage:
The popular repos (KDE:, server:, OpenOffice.org, and others) are all
accessed with about 1 req/s. The overall average traffic generated
looks like only 25 K/s. It should nicely work to exclude all those
from the rsync modules, thereby shrinking them and removing them from
the mirrors, without impact on our download infrastructure.
[Overall request rate for BS repos is 80 req/s, 1 req/s of that is for
10.1 repos if I don't mistake anything.]

Maybe this helps in the decision.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development