Re: [opensuse-buildservice] End Of Life: SUSE Linux 10.1 and Fedora 6
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:52:54 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, James Tremblay wrote:

This whole thread brings back a point I've been trying to make for a
year now. The point, openSUSE should not bother itself with LTS(long
term support) for 3 (4 if SLE counted) distributions. I say starting

2 years is "Long Term" for you? In which world do you live?

Actually what you suggest is to force people to upgrade to a buggy system each time it is released. This is evil.

Until now it always has been fact, that releases x.0 x.1 have had lots of problems and x.2 and x.3 have been really usable.

I don't think this will change in the future (especially when I see the changes in Factory).

The problem here is, that everybody assumes a server really needs to be up-to-date always. E.g. why should a internal CVS/SVN server be updated at all. The remote vulnerabilities are nearly zero. But maybe I want an current SVN running there, but not update the server every 6 months with lots of hours downtime.

Ciao