Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build Service Status
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:25:12 +0200

Adrian Schröter wrote:
[...]
| * The backend is running fast and stable after several improvements.
| It handles also baselib support now, this means the -32bit compat
| packages gets build from the i586 packages and get submitted to the
| x86_64 tree.
[...]

Brilliant! :)

BTW, to enable it, one has to create a file "baselibs.conf" and add it
to the files, e.g. for a hypothetical package libfoo:

$ cd ~/src/buildservice/*/libfoo
$ echo libfoo > baselibs.conf
$ osc addremove
$ osc commit

(kudos to darix for telling me how to enable it)

I recognize a pattern here:
(Am I the only one?)

- some feature is implemented
- it is (maybe!) mentioned here on the list, as by Adrian above
- it is not documented how to use it
- darix has "secret" knowledge about it and tells somebody on IRC
- somebody (maybe!) takes the time to post it here or put it into the
wiki

I would like you to think about how we can improve on this.

Like:
- spend time in the wiki, documenting things there, instead of hanging
around on IRC and repeating it again and again there
- documenting your work and announcing it properly

I can only say: Take the time!
It *might* save you time later.
And more important, it *will* save a lot of people's time.

Thanks,
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development