Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proper etiquette?
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:52:31 +0200
Hello John,

I welcome your input.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 09:19:13AM -0600, John Calcote wrote:
Hi list.

I've read the online wiki docs, and they're great--as far as they go.
Unfortunately, they don't go very far. Don't get me wrong--I love the
opensuse build service! I can't believe we got along all these years
without it.

The trouble is, there's no proper use-case description. I don't mean a
formal design document. I mean a true user scenario document,
answering questions like:

"Why would I want to use this tool?"
"How do I properly use it?"
"What's the proper workflow?"
"When do I build locally?"
"What philosophy do I use to decide when to commit?"
"When do I publish?"
"Which repos do I choose?"
"Should I disable publish during testing?"
"What do I tell my package users about my use of the OBS?"
etc, etc.

If you start a wiki page with those questions, I promise that I'll do my
share and provide answers to them.

Before you send me off to http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service, or any
of it's sub-links (Tutorial, WorkFlow, etc), just know that I've
already read these documents--committed them to memory, in fact.
They're not that helpful. Oh, sure, they provide the basic "HowTo"
information. What's missing is the "Why" information.

There is a lot of outdated and unsorted stuff accumulated meanwhile. Not
all os useful, especially the outdated stuff.

I have a hard time getting an overview in that wiki. Where to start with
cleaning up? Does somebody have a list with all pages concerning the
build service??

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development