Re: [opensuse-buildservice] [opensuse-project] How should we inform packagers about new upstream versions?
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:53:03 +0100 (CET)
Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Adrian Schröter wrote:

IMO the easiest option would be to use the %PACKAGER tag in the rpm
files for that ("rpm -q --qf '%{PACKAGER}\n' foobar" or "rpm -qi
foobar"), but it would require adding that feature to the OBS (or
rather, to build).

The problem with that was that people tend to mail the packagers directly
instead of using bugzilla. So, I personally fear that reports get duplicated
and not tracked in bugzilla anymore ..

You see this from you companies point of view, where bugzilla entries are
a good thing. From my point of "community user" it is not (at least for
minor topics like package upgrades).

Agreed!

Why?

a) I have about 5 different bugzilla/bugtracker/xxx accounts (very likely
much more, but these are the important ones). Each of these has slightly
different usage, semantics, passwords, ...

b) When I get a mail it needs less than 5 minutes to answer it (for such
easy topics). For bugtracking bug reports I need the 5 minutes at least to
find login page, to find login data, to login, ...

yep.

c) For the reporter it is the same:
1) Creating an account, as usually anonymous reports are not allowed.
2) Finding the correct topic/target (can take several minutes).
3) Entering the report, verify, send.
Usually the will stop before point 1.

And all these efforts only for "Your package is not up-to-date. Version
xxx has been released 3 weeks ago".

And: How often are packages seriously out of date? I would guess, that
those who register at build.o.o are personally interested in exactly those
packages they chose to work on. Again, that's the position of a
non-professional user, a simple community member. If such a packager loses
interest, the work can easily be continued by someone who notices missing
upstream integration. And the one who lost interest in a package is
unlikely to follow a bugtracker anyway. May be it's different if it's
"just a job" to follow a zillion packages. But for the hobbyists a bugtracker
for notifying of new upstream releases seems useless.

Better would be a button "package should be updated" on the
download/search pages and a "status flag" in the and an email from the
buildservice to the maintainers.

That would be ok and enough.

Detlef

The maintainers can then decide, if a bug-entry in the bug-tracker is
useful or if the update is done fast and without bug tracking.

Ciao