Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-project] How should we inform packagers about new upstream versions?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:05:44 +0100
On Wednesday 27 February 2008 20:43:05 wrote Pascal Bleser:
Christian Morales Vega wrote:
Sometimes do you find packages in the OBS that are outdated. You never
know why, perhaps the packager doesn't knows about the new upstream
version and perhaps he knows but is just busy.
Up to now when I found such a case I reported it like an "Enhancement"
bug in bugzilla. But some packagers think bugzilla isn't the correct
place for such a thing.

If the packager doesn't knows about the new version he can leave the
package outdated for a long time. So would be good that, at some time,
if an user finds the problem he reports it. But, how should be
reported? There is any feature planned in the OBS to help with this?
What other distros do?

A very good point.

Personally, I think Bugzilla is the best place to report it.
It also makes it much easier to track the status.

The problem is finding the relation package->packager, to know whom to
assign the Enhancement request.
IIRC there's the option for packagers to include bugzilla information in
their OBS projects and packages now -- I haven't looked at it yet, so I
can't say much more about it. But it should really be made easily
available to end-users.

yes, there is. You can define a "bugowner" role in the project or package. A
link to bugzilla will be shown in build.o.o afterwards.

IMO the easiest option would be to use the %PACKAGER tag in the rpm
files for that ("rpm -q --qf '%{PACKAGER}\n' foobar" or "rpm -qi
foobar"), but it would require adding that feature to the OBS (or
rather, to build).

The problem with that was that people tend to mail the packagers directly
instead of using bugzilla. So, I personally fear that reports get duplicated
and not tracked in bugzilla anymore ..

bye
adrian