[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-project] How should we inform packagers about new upstream versions?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <guru@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:43:05 +0100

Christian Morales Vega wrote:
Sometimes do you find packages in the OBS that are outdated. You never
know why, perhaps the packager doesn't knows about the new upstream
version and perhaps he knows but is just busy.
Up to now when I found such a case I reported it like an "Enhancement"
bug in bugzilla. But some packagers think bugzilla isn't the correct
place for such a thing.

If the packager doesn't knows about the new version he can leave the
package outdated for a long time. So would be good that, at some time,
if an user finds the problem he reports it. But, how should be
reported? There is any feature planned in the OBS to help with this?
What other distros do?

A very good point.

Personally, I think Bugzilla is the best place to report it.
It also makes it much easier to track the status.

The problem is finding the relation package->packager, to know whom to
assign the Enhancement request.
IIRC there's the option for packagers to include bugzilla information in
their OBS projects and packages now -- I haven't looked at it yet, so I
can't say much more about it. But it should really be made easily
available to end-users.

IMO the easiest option would be to use the %PACKAGER tag in the rpm
files for that ("rpm -q --qf '%{PACKAGER}\n' foobar" or "rpm -qi
foobar"), but it would require adding that feature to the OBS (or
rather, to build).

Would be better discussed on opensuse-buildservice@xxxxxxxxxxxx though,
which is why I'm CC'ing this email there (please followup on that list).

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill