Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: gosc
  • From: Klaas Freitag <freitag@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:35:33 +0100
On Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2008, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

Hi,

Klaas, I'm adding you to Cc because we talked about KDE & osc sometimes
;-) and I'm also adding the list to Cc.
Yes, thanks.

I have thought about the following ways:

1)
simply use osc as is, calling it as external process. Adding a switch
which makes osc output stuff in XML (similar to svn --xml) would greatly
ease the job I guess. It would be a bit of work though. But doable and
definitely worthwhile for other purposes.
Yes, doable but has downsides, for example there is no chance to
implement asynchronious tasks properly, like file upload for example
where with a tighter integration a real progress bar is possible.

2)
use a persistent osc process "through a pipe", which turns osc in some
sort of daemon. osc has some kind of preliminary batch support, I'd say.
mmarek's osc-ftp goes into a similar direction which I envisioned, when
I designed the engine. osc-ftp employs a batch mode which allows osc to
keep running, so initialization stuff is not done again and again. I
personally believe that this is the most efficient option. Again,
switching to XML mode (--xml) would come to help.
Yes, but that has the same problems as 1), but saves the overhead to
start the process over and over. Are there more benefits?

3)
use some kind of language bindings to use osc as python library. With
KDE this seems to be possible, although I haven't really researched into
this direction, and I don't know nothing about KDE.
Is possible with KDE/Qt because there is the excellent PyQt package
which are python Qt bindings. This would be my prefered version :)

4)
don't use osc and re-code everything: it's doable, and actually not so
difficult (just how I started osc), but then again it's boring...
Yes, also doable and than better done using C++ probably but I think
this is not in the discussion here because osc already is the defacto
standard.

These are my thoughts, maybe a wiki page would be helpful to collect and
review them.
Yes, is there already a wiki page?

regards,

Klaas