[opensuse-buildservice] OBS development status report
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:29:43 +0100

present: mls, froh, jcborn, freitag, adrian, poeml

* Merge request mechanism
* OBS packages
* Notifications
* Signatur
* Speed issues

General Status:
===============

poeml:
- new osc release with some new features, including --no-verify
to workaround problems with signing.

mls:
- backend hardware is slow again
- signature support enabled, with some problems
- planned work on scheduler to prefer projects with events to
report status faster.
- speed problems might be caused by SAN, need to dig into

jcborn:
- working on unpack meta packages
installation media creation is estimated to be read in march
- preparing on fair talks about KIWI imaging

adrian:
- handled RHEL and CentOS
- cared about hardware issues
- need to take care about LSB target
- fixed some stuff to build openSUSE:Factory more successfull.
- started discussion about building also Factory:NonFree

rlihm / abauer:
- found and fixed bug with drag & drop in IE :)
- will post a screenshot

Speed issues:
=============
We discussed the speed issues we experience these days and esp.
last week. The build order seems to be fine, but the timelag of updating
the status by the scheduler needs improvements. Possibilities which were
discussed are
* Implementing a dirty flags system, to invalidate the status of a
package/project immediatly. The disadvantage of this is that it only
affects the project where the change happened
* Another thinkable solution to reduce the build load would be to define
a prefered build target. Which should be build first, so a user can see
if the changes can work in general.
* Scheduler should prefer events over its standard queue. This means it
will calculate the project where either a source change or build result
appeared handle first. This is planned to be implemented this week.

Merge request:
mls will provide storage and interface in backend before vacation in two
days.
Specification seems to be complete, osc client implementation can start.

OBS packages:
We will provide urgent bugfixes for stable packages via 0.5 branch +
packages.
Additionally we will create nightly builds in seperated
openSUSE:Tools:Snapshot project.

Notifications:
Klaas has implemented a perl module to send notifications for the
backend sent to a db. A digest notification to collect multiple events
is possible as well.
Currently the backend the defines how to send out notifications.
Later on this should become user configurable.
Additional possibility to send notifications also via http interface.
This will come to svn these days and a wiki page will be created.

Currently missing:
- user interaction missing
- integration into backend code missing
- currently limited to mail notifications

Signature issues:
Open question how to handle imported packages from other projects
via aggregates.
aggregate packages cause currently a problem, because they provide
currently a different signature.
Therefore we will need to resign the packages on import.
Alternative solution, with double signing of packages may create new
problems with non-zypp installers.