Re: [opensuse-buildservice] One common community repository in BuildService?
  • From: Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvornik@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:36:48 +0100
On pátek 25 leden 2008, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
On Thursday 24 January 2008 12:03:00 wrote:
* With one large repo, it's 'either all or nothing' for the end user.
E.g. imagine a web developer who wants the latest LAMP stack, but
wants KDE to stay as is, so that his non-techie girlfriend doesn't
get scared each time she uses the computer. I'd say the current
setup suits him better in this case.

This is a misinterpretation of my post. I'm talking about the packages,
which are not in openSUSE (for example gle-graphics.org, or the Squeak
Smalltalk). Not about latest versions of KDE, or a LAMP.

I think that we are mixing these 2 things:

1. provide packages that are not in the base distro
2. provide newer versions of packages in the base distro

The BuildService provides a repositories like OpenSUSE_10.3 and a community
repo should countain only packages based on libraries or tools included in
this repos *only*. If any package needs the newest version of gcc, KDE, or
something else, there's also a Factory repository (Debian users often use a
mixed system and libzypp should brings a support for repository priorities
like apt, or yum, which avoids to break the system). As Adrian saids, the
Packman guys often tends to duplicate a packages from openSUSE, which
should breaks the distribution and its bad.

I'm talking about the policy, that a creation of a specialized repo is
exception, not a rule. I'm understand, that a big projects, like KDE,
Gnome, Java*, or Apache needs the specific repository, because they are
much more complex and its hard to maintain them. But there are already a
part of a OpenSUSE (or will be in a future) and not be interested for the
community repo. I believe, that most of simple end-user applications should
be included in one repository, without a big problems.

Specialized repos are ideal for case 2 - for users that want to be on the
bleeding edge in just one area and want to have stable distro otherwise.
Even one-package top-level project is OK from this point of view.

For case 1 we could have a project called like "Addon" with carefully selected
stable packages that does not conflict with the packages in main distro. It
should have limited number of maintainers who would review submissions of
others.
Links or aggregates to specialized projects probably can't be used because
this project should typically get only well tested versions.
Popular packages from this project would be good candidates for inclusion
in next version of base distro.

Vladimir Nadvornik