Re: [opensuse-buildservice] One common community repository in BuildService?
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:11:04 +0100
Michal Vyskocil wrote:
On Thursday 24 January 2008 12:03:00 wrote:
* With one large repo, it's 'either all or nothing' for the end user.
E.g. imagine a web developer who wants the latest LAMP stack, but
wants KDE to stay as is, so that his non-techie girlfriend doesn't
get scared each time she uses the computer. I'd say the current
setup suits him better in this case.

This is a misinterpretation of my post. I'm talking about the packages, which
are not in openSUSE (for example gle-graphics.org, or the Squeak Smalltalk).
Not about latest versions of KDE, or a LAMP.

The BuildService provides a repositories like OpenSUSE_10.3 and a community
repo should countain only packages based on libraries or tools included in
this repos *only*. If any package needs the newest version of gcc, KDE, or
something else, there's also a Factory repository

# cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 1
# zypper sa
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/
FACTORY
Added Installation Sources:
[x]* FACTORY
(http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/)
# zypper in mysql
Restoring system sources...
Parsing metadata for FACTORY...
Invalid object: Can't open
/var/lib/zypp/cache/Source.wBVYRq/DATA/descr/packages
Unexpected exception.
Can't parse packages file: Can't open
/var/lib/zypp/cache/Source.wBVYRq/DATA/descr/packages
Please file a bug report about this.

It _might_ work to mix the latest released version and factory, but then
reread my mail - it's all or nothing (and no, I don't think that
tweaking the package manager config is any easier than choosing the
right buildservice repositories).

I believe, that most of simple end-user applications should be included
in one repository, without a big problems.

Again, this might be true when you only build for a recent enough
distribution.

Michal