Re: [opensuse-buildservice] One common community repository in BuildService?
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:54:43 +0100
Hi,

On Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 14:17:18, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Thursday 24 January 2008 14:06:40 wrote Henne Vogelsang:
On Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 13:37:48, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Thursday 24 January 2008 12:16:18 wrote Henne Vogelsang:
On Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 12:03:00, Michal Marek wrote:
Of course, with users who subscribe 100+ buildservice repos, there's
surely room for improvement ;)

Get a buildservice account, link everything you want to your home, be
done with it?

HELLO ????

Hey there. How is it hanging? :)

I dont know where you have been the last 4 years but static content like
we have now is outmoded. You have to provide the building blocks, the
means and the user (or a group of users) does the rest.

Not necessarily in the buildservice frontend we have now, i tend to
agree with you on that, but thats what these requests are about.

You are aware that you suggested to duplicate several 100 of Gigabytes on our
main server and all it's mirrors, because one single person wants a different
repo setup ?

You are aware that you need to provide the means to do that right? Maybe
in a way that it does not have the consequences you describe above...

Can you calculate, how much space we and all our mirrors would need to
fullfill this request when every second of our openSUSE users will do this ?

Nope. But i can see other (web)services that provide content that is far
more space intensive, to way more users then we do, without a problem. So
it cant be that hard dont you think? :)

package managers are designed to handle multiple repos. If they do not do
well, fix it or use a different package manager.

There should be no difference by having the same data in one or more
repos for the package manager.

Im sorry but you are (still) designing the OBS for packagemanagers
instead of people :)

I simply refuse to implement workarounds in OBS, just because no one fixes
packagemanagers or design them for users.

You cant make the task of package installations (== what a package
manager does) _much_ easier as it is right now. I think we can all agree
on that.

What you can make easier is providing the packages the user wants. A
huge repository with thousands of packages is not the answer. A thousand
repositories, with one package in each, aren't either.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
- Mike Tyson