Re: [opensuse-buildservice] One common community repository in BuildService?
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:40:35 +0100

On 24-01-2008 at 15:06, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I dont know where you have been the last 4 years but static content like
we have now is outmoded. You have to provide the building blocks, the
means and the user (or a group of users) does the rest.

Hmmmm. so you think we should jump on the web2.0 hype with OBS ;)

well: actually, for the end user, a sort of 'aggregate' would be enough to
offer.
Maybe we can do something with just providing an updated 'repodata' directory
for that user, having them point to the actual directore (project) where from
they got linked?

something like:
http://download.opensuse.org/users/dimstar/repodata contains all the repodata
set for 'my' own project, but I do not have rpms there myself.

all the needed xml files (repomd, other, primary and filelists) would be
provided per user basis (I think other is not really nescessary, no clue about
filelists, if we can skip it / have them empty dummy files)

primary.xml would contain the location-hrefs to the original 'aggregated' RPMs
(are absolute path allowed here, like
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games:/arcade/openSUSE_Factory/x86_64/smc-x.y-a.b.rpm)

The impact with the repodata only structure should be rather small on the whole
system.

Maybe we can try to investigate on something like this, instead of denying the
whole idea from the beginning? I of course see many problems arising from
missing dependencies (user select package a from project A but does not select
A-data from project B and the like).

Dominique